This special keepsake can be made in a weekend. I have made these in multi-colored fabrics as well as this graphic red/black/white combination (below). They are sized to be bigger than the average baby blanket, to last through toddler-hood. Instructions are very general; adjust sizing to your liking. Obviously, if you make this for an older child, you will adjust your fabric amounts accordingly.
Making the blanket
Sharpie now has a fine point fabric marker that works just like a regular Sharpie. Haven’t tried yet, but bought a few to try!)
Adding the verses
When finished quilting, I bind by bringing the backing up over the batting and the top and folding over to make a clean edge, then hand sew it down with a whipstitch and then quilt in that “ditch.” If you prefer, you could make or buy a bias binding to stitch over the edges, sandwiching all three layers. And be sure to sign it or sew a “made with love” label on it!
These blankets also make precious gifts for others needing to be enveloped in God’s word, such as those under physical attack, bedridden, hospitalized, etc. or for a student leaving home for the first time, missionaries, and others.
Suggested “blessings” with verse references.
- When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24
- God’s presence goes with you always. Exodus 33:14
- God created all the world. Isaiah 40:28
- The Lord will guide and watch over you. Psalms 32:8
- Clap your hands, all ye people! Shout unto God with a voice of triumph. Psalms 47:1
- The word of the Lord is upright. Psalms 33:4
- By the word of the Lord the heavens were made. Psalms 33:6
- The wonders of God are too numerous to count. Psalms 40:5
- Jesus is with you always. Matthew 28:20
- The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalms 121:8
- Children are a gift of the Lord. Psalms 127:3
- The Lord will protect you. Psalms 121:7
- He gives his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. Psalms 91:11
- Hide God’s Word in your heart. Psalms 119:11
- Every good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17
- He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.
- Trust in the Lord forever. Isaiah 26:4
- Jesus is your peace. Ephesians 2:14
- You will lie down in peace and sleep, for the Lord keeps you safe. Psalms 4:8
- You will have peace with God through Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1
- God will establish and guard you. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- The Lord will make you wise. Psalms 32:8
- God loves you. Romans 5:8
- Come before His presence with singing. Psalms 100:2
- May you prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 3 John 1:2
- God will strengthen you according to His word. Psalms 119:28
- God will strengthen your heart. Psalms 27:14
- God has a plan for you, to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- God has not given you a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- May you have a pure heart, a good conscience, and sincere faith. 1 Timothy 1:5
- The Lord is your helper – don’t be afraid. Hebrews 13:6
- God rejoices over you with gladness and singing. Zephaniah 3:17God will uphold you with His righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
In a hurry? This blessing blanket, below, was made from a quilt top I purchased at a vintage shop. So the piecing was already done; I simply backed it, quilted it, and put the verses on.
This pre-finished quilt from Ikea (shown here in pink) also comes in a blue/green combination. All I did was wash a few times to soften, then added the verses and tied with a ribbon to give away!
(See more blankets in the update here: http://everydayhomemaking.com/blessing-blankets-update/ )