Vicki’s Bread Recipe
(1) Mix on medium speed with roller/scraper (DLX) or on speed 2 (Bosch) (or paddle of KitchenAid mixer) till well mixed:
(2) Add 1½ tsp salt and 2-3 cups flour (more wheat, or unbleached white). Mix until it starts to clean side of bowl. (KA and Bosch users: change to dough hook for this.)
(3) Once you have enough flour (better too little than too much), set timer to knead on medium speed for about 8 minutes for DLX/Ankarsrum or 5 min for Bosch (spelt needs less kneading time: about 4 minutes).
Cover mixer bowl with a clean dish towel and let dough rise till doubled in bulk, about 45-60 min. (Option: Set mixer timer for 8 minute, but set kitchen timer for 40 minutes; come back then and check dough.)
(4) Punch down dough. Using oiled hands on oiled counter, divide dough into two parts and shape into loaves. At this point, I knead it by hand a few times if it’s still tacky to the touch, and that usually takes out the “sticky.” Let rise in prepared pans till double in bulk, then bake 30 minutes at 350. Remove from pans to cool on racks. Bread is done when an instant-read thermometer reads 195-200 or bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
(Note that I made one full-size loaf, shown in back of cooling loaves — hence the size difference)
HELPFUL EXTRA NOTES FROM VICKI:
- A basic guideline is to begin with the same amount of flour as you have liquid. Then add roughly that amount of flour AGAIN when you incorporate the additional flour. Bread baking is not an exact science because amounts of flour needed will vary depending upon the humidity of your kitchen, moisture level of the grain you used, type of grain (i.e., spelt needs less liquid or more flour), etc. This recipe gives you a basic starting point. The resulting dough will probably be a bit slacker than what you are accustomed to; this will help you make a lighter (less dense) loaf. You may weigh ingredients for greater accuracy (I haven’t mastered the weights!). The only things I really measure are the water & yeast, and sort of the flour.
- As you add additional flour (step 2), the dough may start to climb the roller. To prevent the dough from climbing too high and making a mess, pull the roller in toward the center of the bowl as it rotates, until you reach the point at which the dough stops climbing; lock the roller in place at this spot by turning the large plastic “screw” at the back of the roller’s metal arm. Roller will still move in and out, but not past this spot.
- I bake in 8½ x 4½” pans; the bigger ones (9×5) tend to make flatter loaves. My husband really like the mini loaves, too (half the capacity of a regular pan); here you see six half loaves and one 8.5 x 4.5 pan, plus the baking sheet.
- If you use regular yeast instead of instant, use 1 Tbsp yeast and combine with a bit of the warm water and honey before adding to the dough.
- You can vary the grains you use; just remember to keep the low/no-gluten grains to no more than ¼ of your flour. Most of your grain for yeast breads should be a combination of high-gluten grains: wheat, spelt, or kamut.
- *You can buy dough enhancer (different than dough conditioner). It generally contains gluten, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and diastatic malt powder. Use about 1 tsp per loaf.
- I grease my pans with liquid lecithin and mild olive oil: Mix 2 parts oil with 1 part lecithin (about $4.95 for a 32 oz. bottle at Ukrop’s or the health food store – do NOT refrigerate!) and spread with pastry brush or whatever. This is all that’s in Pam when you buy it (plus the propellant; but don’t try this in your PC spritzer – the lecithin clogs it – I should know!). The oil alone doesn’t keep the food from sticking; you need the lecithin. This mixture works great for eggs, muffins, etc. I keep a little bowl of it with a pastry brush on the counter, and use no other no-stick stuff. Bread pans prepared like this only need wiping out, then washing occasionally.
- This recipe can also be used in any heavy-duty mixer with a dough hook. Or it can be made by hand by mixing ingredients with electric mixer or heavy whisk before sponging, then mixing with a wooden spoon and hand kneading from that point on. When hand kneading, you will need to work with floured hands on floured counter, working in flour as needed to keep dough un-gooey, adding only as much flour as absolutely necessary.
See Everyday Cooking for the following variations:
- SWEET ROLLS
- HERB BREAD
- CINNAMON BREAD
- BREAKFAST BREAD
- BRAIDED LOAF
- FLAX LOAF
- BROWN BREAD
- DINNER ROLLS/SANDWICH BUNS
A few products you might be interested in:
(Affiliate links – same great pricing for you, a bit of spare change for me so I can continue to bring you fun content!)
Everyday Cooking by Vicki BentleyBosch Universal Plus Stand Mixer Baker’s Package with Additional Baking AttachmentsAnkarsrum Original 6230 Black Chrome and Stainless Steel 7 Liter Stand MixerBosch MUM4405 Compact Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 400 watt, 4 QuartNutriMill Artiste Kitchen Stand Mixer (Black Trim)Powerful Electric Grain Mill Grinder for Home and Professional Use – High Speed Electric Flour Mill Grinder for Healthy Grains and Gluten-Free Flours – Electric Grain Grinder Mill by WondermillKoMo Classic Mill, BeechwoodSaf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound Pouch (2-Pack)Saf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound PouchFood Scale, Homever 15kg Digital Food Scale with 9×6.3 in Big Panel, Digital Kitchen Scale with 1g Accuracy and Back-lit LCD Display. (silver)OXO Good Grips 5 Lb Food Scale with Pull-Out DisplayENNSUN Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Bench Scraper Chopper, Pizza Dough Scraper & Chopper & Cutter with Good Grip HandleNetted Dish Cloth (set of 2) – NorwexThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Candy Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet for Oil Deep Fry BBQ Grill Smoker ThermometerUSA Pan 1140LF Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 8.5 x 4.5 x 3-Inch Small, SilverChicago Metallic Commercial II Non-Stick Mini Loaf Pans, Set of 4Chicago Metallic Commercial II Non-Stick 1-Pound Loaf PanChicago Metallic Commercial II Traditional Uncoated 1-Pound Loaf Pan – 49042Stackable Cooling Rack Set – Pampered ChefBread Knife – Pampered ChefAnkarsrum Deluxe Package Add-On Bundle