Some days I’m hungry for that chicken pot pie flavor but may not want the crust for one reason or another (mostly because my husband is not a pie crust fan)….and this is a simple, one pot meal! It also makes enough to feed about eight people, so it’s a good one for me to take when someone needs a meal. (If you are looking for one with a crust, try this one!)
I grabbed my ingredients…..
For this evening, I was using rotisserie chicken off the bone, but you can use canned chicken, or chopped leftover chicken, or even grab an uncooked chicken breast and cook it up quickly at the same time. (Leftover turkey works, too!)
I don’t often have fresh chicken broth, so I keep this on hand in the pantry to make quick broths or to flavor dishes….
I layered all the ingredients atop the sauteed onion/garlic and the wide egg noodles. (One cup of liquid is generally sufficient for each 4 ounces of pasta, but I used an extra cup of chicken broth because I want some saucy gravy in this dish.)
Set the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker for 5 minutes on high. Remember that it will take a few minutes to come to pressure. After it’s done, do a QR (quick release) of the pressure so the noodles don’t overcook….
Add 1 cup of heavy cream to thicken the sauce. If it’s a bit too liquidy for you, you can add a Tablespoon of cornstarch to the cream before adding to the boiling broth mixture….
At first it will be very liquid-y, but it will thicken as it simmers a moment with the lid off….
You can see that it’s a bit thicker here, as I added just a smidge of cornstarch. (Always dissolve your cornstarch or flour in a bit of cold liquid first to prevent lumps.)
My dinner (with a side of garlic toast)….
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 lb cubed chicken (cooked or raw – dark, white, or mixed—I’ve also used cooked turkey leftovers)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sage or thyme
- 16 oz wide noodles (dry)
- several cups veggies (frozen mixed, or fresh/frozen corn + sliced carrots + green beans, etc)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (I use chicken broth powder and water--so I omit the salt above)
- 1 cup cream (add AFTER pressure cooking)
- Saute chicken (if raw), onion, and spices in oil till chicken is white outside.
- Add noodles to chicken mixture, top with veggies and broth.
- Seal pressure cooker and cook on HI for 5 minutes, then QR.
- Stir in cream. Switch to saute if needed to slightly thicken.
- It will thicken slightly as it sits (since it's way too hot to eat right away), but if you want it a bit thicker, add 1-2Tbsp cornstarch to ¼ cup cold water or milk and stir thoroughly, then stir into boiling mixture. Cook 1 minute to cook cornstarch and thicken gravy.
For a chicken or turkey pot pie with a pastry crust, check out my recipe here.
A few resources you may like:
(Note that these are affiliate links–your price doesn’t change, but I do make a few cents from each sale to keep bringing you great content!)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 QuartInstant Pot Ceramic Inner Cooking Pot – 6 QuartPyrex Prepware 2-Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set, 1-Cup and 2-Cup, with Supreme Box Safe PackageOXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring CupQWORK Glass Measuring Cup, 500ML (18 Oz, 2 Cup), High Borosilicate Glass Scale Cup with Handle and Durable Bamboo Lid, for Kitchen or RestaurantMrs. Miller’s Homemade Old Fashioned Egg Noodles, Extra Wide, 16 OZ (Pack of 1)Mrs Millers Homestyle Low Sodium Chicken Soup Base, Gluten Free No MSG Added, (2 Pack)Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base 8 oz (Pack of 2) Bundle with PrimeTime Direct Teaspoon Scoop with BTB Authenticity SealVictorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife, 8-InchPampered Chef Garlic Press 2575 – Easy Squeeze, Rust Proof, Ergonomic Handle – Professional Garlic Mincer & Ginger Press with Handy Cleaning BrushPAMPERED CHEF New model. #1514 SANTOKU COLOR COATED KITCHEN KNIFEThe Pampered Chef Food Chopper (#2585)-WhiteOXO Good Grips 2-Piece Plastic Cutting Board Set (Pack of 1)The Pampered Chef Cutting Board #1012Large Acacia Wood Cutting Board for Kitchen – Caperci Better Chopping Board with Juice Groove & Handle Hole for Meat (Butcher Block) Vegetables and Cheese, 18 x 12 InchEveryday Cooking cookbook