When the potatoes come out of the steamer basket, do not discard the very hot water in the pressure cooker. Simply add your broccoli or Brussels sprouts to the now-empty steamer basket and put the veggies in the IP liner with the hot water. When you start cooking the chicken, turn the Instant Pot on for about 1 minute, then quick-release when it beeps. Turn veggies out into a bowl with a bit of butter and a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt.
- 5-6 medium potatoes, scrubbed (or peeled) and sliced about ⅛ inch thick - I use Russets
- ¼ cup butter (half a stick)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 - 1.5 cups milk (start with 1 cup; add more as needed)
- 1 tsp chicken broth powder
- dash pepper
- Cook sliced potatoes in steamer basket in pressure cooker over 1 cup water for 1 minute, then allow pot to NPR for 3 minutes. (This is important--they won't be fully cooked at 1 minute, so the extra 3 minutes NPR allows them to finish tenderizing.)
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.
- Make sauce: In small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then stir in the flour. Whisk or stir for about 1 minute to cook the flour, until slightly golden. Slowly whisk in 1 cup milk and stir about 2 minutes until it creates a sauce (you don't want pudding -- so if it's too thick for a sauce, add a bit of milk, till it's the consistency you would want in your potatoes -- a thick gravy). Stir in 1 tsp chicken broth powder (if you don't have any, use about ½ tsp salt) and a dash of pepper.
- At the end of your 3 min NPR, release the rest of the pressure from the potatoes. Remove steamer basket from pot.
- Put a thin layer of white sauce into a greased 2 qt casserole. Carefully layer some of the potatoes, some of the sauce, and repeat, finishing with sauce. Top with crumbs or crushed crackers if desired.
- Put uncovered casserole in preheated oven about 10 minutes. If desired, finish with about 2 minutes under the broiler to brown the top.
(Affiliate links — product pricing is exactly the same for you either way, but if you use one of these links, our site gets a very small amount toward posting more fun content for you!)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, 6 Quart, Stainless Steel/BlackInstant Pot Duo Crisp Large 6Qt 11-in-1 Air Fryer & Electric Pressure Cooker Combo with Multicooker Lid that Air Fries, Steams, Slow Cooks, Sautés, Dehydrates & More, Free App With 1300 RecipesInstant Pot Max 6 Quart Multi-use Electric Pressure Cooker with 15psi Pressure Cooking, Sous Vide, Auto Steam Release Control and Touch ScreenInstant Pot Air Fryer Lid 6 in 1, No Pressure Cooking Functionality, 6 Qt, 1500 WThe Step-by-Step Instant Pot Cookbook: 100 Simple Recipes for Spectacular Results — with Photographs of Every StepInstant Pot Official Mesh Steamer Basket, Set of 2, Stainless SteelCorningWare French White 2-1/2-Quart Round Casserole Dish with Glass CoverLodge Oval casserole, 2 Quart, RedPyrex Basics 2 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 7 x 11 inch (Pack of 2)Goodcook 04153 Baking Dish, Square, Classic White Ceramic, 2-Qt. – Quantity 1DOWAN Ceramic Bakeware, Rectangular Baking Dish Roasting Lasagna Pans with Handles, Deep Casserole Dish Oven Safe for Cooking, Baking, Cake, Dinner, 11 x 7 x 3 Inches, Airy BlueOXO Good Grips Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish with LidSimax Round Glass Casserole Dish: Clear Glass Round Casserole Dish with Lid and Handles – Covered Bowl for Cooking, Baking, Serving, etc. – Microwave, Dishwasher, and Oven Safe Cookware – Quart (1.5 Quart)Rachael Ray Solid Glaze Ceramics Au Gratin Bakeware / Baker Set, Oval – 2 Piece, Light BlueRachael Ray Cucina Stoneware 2-Quart Oval Baker, Agave BlueAnchor Hocking Oven Basics Glass Baking Dishes, Rectangular Value Pack, Set of 2Anchor Hocking Oven Basics Casserole Dish 2 Quart ClearGood Cook Classic Set of 2 Silicone SpatulasBakeRoyal Silicone Spatula Set – 4-Piece Rubber Spatulas Silicone Heat Resistant 600°F for Everyday Task – Seamless Design Kitchen Spatulas for Nonstick Cookware – Silicone Kitchen Utensils Sets